Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> That seems like a waste of effort, considering we have the offline updates
> process which just boots into a special, minimalist environment with
> almost nothing but the updater running.

But the offline process is highly impractical, it requires you to interrupt
all you were doing on every single update, just for the unlikely event that
doing otherwise would crash X11. Making it so that the X11 crash will not
crash the update process is, sure, slightly less effective (doesn't prevent
potential data loss in the unlikely case X11 crashes), but also much more
practical, while still providing the same reliability guarantees for the
update process itself. So I don't see this being a waste of effort at all.

        Kevin Kofler