Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 20:43 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> But ordinary regular app updates will happily run on cruise control, without
> bringing the system down into single user mode. If Android can do that, I
> see no reason why Fedora can't, either. The only time you need to reboot an
> Android device is for a kernel-level update.

No, in fact, it's for any *system level* update. Any change to the
underlying system (as opposed to an app) requires the full reboot
treatment. Only updates to app packages don't.

The reason Android can do fairly good app updates is precisely because
it does exactly what Flatpak and Snappy are trying to do for Linux:
hard separation between app space and system space. Flatpak and Snappy
didn't just spring fully formed from a vacuum, they're very obviously
the product of someone using Android and/or iOS and going 'huh, maybe
we should do that'.

We can't realistically do it with the 'distribution is just a big pile
of RPMs' model. GNOME folks thought we could, for a while, then
realized they were wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey