Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

Adam Williamson writes:

It's pretty simple, really: a process running in a terminal inside a
graphical desktop will crash if the terminal app crashes, or if the
desktop crashes, or if X crashes.

It should take me about five minutes to write a process that will continue happily along if its terminal, desktop, or X crashes. Especially if the process doesn't need to talk to X in the first place. Like dnf.

I'm quite astonished to read this. Something is wrong, here. Either I have suffered a stroke, today, or I seriously misunderstood some POSIX fundamentals, for the last twenty years.

For chrissakes, there's a bleeping program in Fedora called "tmux" that has managed to accomplished the herculean feat of surviving X shutting down.

I just performed a simple experiment.

1. Opened a terminal window

2. Executed tmux

3. In a tmux session executed "cat >/dev/null"

4. Logged out from the desktop, and only because CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE has been disabled "for our convenience", but to the tmux sesssion running in a terminal this is indistinguishable from losing the X session unexpectedly.

5. Guess what? After logging back in, opening a terminal window, and executed "tmux attach", I found my "cat" program happily waiting to dump more stuff into /dev/null.

Really, the silly excuse that, somehow, X shutting down is a valid reason to dnf to blow chunks is embarassing. This whole thread is mind-boggling.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow, if proven wrong by pointing out some detail that I missed; but if I consider anything short of a direct SIGKILL to a dnf process (or the entire system crashing due to power loss, etc) ending up with an inconsistent state, to be a BUG.

No, really, I challenge anyone to reproduce this amazing feat of tmux surviving an unexpected X shutdown and then tell me why dnf cannot do the same.