Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 00:20 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > If you're using Workstation, the offline update system is
> > > expressly designed to minimize the likelihood of this kind of
> > > problem, so please do consider using it.
> >

> > In CentOS or Debian I can afford to reboot for every update. With
> > Fedora's rapid stream of updates that's simply not workable.
>
> Then just don't apply every update. There's no law that says you have
> to...if there's a pending security update you get a different and more
> urgent notification, btw.

I don't get any notifications at all. I just try to remember to run Yum
periodically, and there I'm not told which updates are security updates.

I used to subscribe to the package-announce list, but I had to drop that
when some broken program started sending invalid mails to the list, and
the list server kicked me out for rejecting invalid mail. It was never a
very good notification mechanism anyway, as I always had to wait a day
or two for the packages to appear on the mirrors before I could update.

Many years ago there was sometimes a tray applet that could notify me
about pending updates, but it disappeared. If something similar exists
now, then I don't know its name so I don't know what to install.
Perhaps there is some notification mechanism in Gnome 3; I wouldn't
know. I'm not aunt Tillie so I don't use Gnome 3.

Björn Persson