Re: USB writing changes: wiki instructions, tests

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 08:53 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Question 1:
> Final release criterion:
> "The release-blocking live images must properly support mounting and
> using a persistent storage overlay for the entire system and/or one
> for the /home partition."
>
> Does this requirement apply only to the image itself (i.e. mainly
> dracut scripts doing the environment setup for this to work)?

Yes.

> There's an additional qualifer underneath: "does not cover the writing
> of the persistent overlay". Does "writing" mean "creation" of the
> overlay?

Yes. It's more or less the same qualification, though. Also note this
text was all written before we had the 'previous release blocker'
concept.

> Question 2:
>
> Beta release criterion:
> "Release-blocking live and dedicated installer images must boot when
> written to optical media of an appropriate size (if applicable) and
> when written to a USB stick with any of the officially supported
> methods. "
>
> points to your rewritten wiki page, but no where on that page does it
> say what is officially supported. Only Fedora Media Writer is
> considered recommended, the rest are considered "maybe useful". But if
> everything listed on the page is officially supported, that means:
>
> dd
> l-i-t-d
> Fedora Media Writer
> GNOME Disk Utility
> Unetbootin
>
> are all supported. Really?

As the person who wrote both the criteria and (most of the page), my
current interpretation would be that fmw, litd, and arguably dd and GDU
are covered (though GDU is possibly a mistake and we could twiddle
things a bit to make it not covered; I really only mean it to be
included to cover the case of non-Fedora Linux where Flatpak is not
usable). The unetbootin section exists only to state that we do *not*
support it, and the text says that multiple times.

> I'd say Fedora Media Writer should be the only one that's officially
> supported/recommended. By extension this would include dd, but it
> doesn't need to be explicitly stated. There are so many issues with
> the live overlay stuff that I think it needs a total rethink: maybe
> overlayfs, maybe btrfs seed device.
>
> In any case, I think this landing page should only contain the
> officially recommended methods, and then link to "maybe useful
> alternatives" on their own page.

That's possible, but it's more work than I had time to do last week.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey