Re: A tale of systemd and MaxProcs

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek(a)in.waw.pl&gt; wrote:
>
> That's a reflection on the nature of the change itself though.  People
> don't run large, stable workloads that would hit the TasksMax limit on
> rawhide.  They run them on stable releases.  It's a chicken-egg
> situation from a testing perspective, but if there is no announcement
> or heads up the change is coming then people cannot know they should
> test it before it hits stable.
>
> josh

Although I agree with the above then may be a builder should have a rawhide VM running with these updated critical packages if only for testing purposes to expose this type of failure.

The other concerns is that the package should have issued some sort of critical error message to the appropriate log before the limit was reached. and then start shutting down or limiting the process's or threads running.
Is easy to say but may be a lot harder to actually achieve.

Although the change was communicated there needs to be a process that effective communication of these sorts of changes is sent to ensure that it will be picked up by more than just the fedora team leader which already has a fairly big workload.

It is a corner case at the extreme end as most testers probably would not have the hardware or knowledge to test effectively.
Supplying info on how to test effectively may be a solution but will require someone to do it.

But I feel Kevin's and others involved frustration and the amount of time that trouble-shooting this would have taken.

Tim