Re: F24, small backward steps

----- Original Message -----
<snip>
> Could you elaborate a little on your reasoning/thoughts please?
>
> I am quite interesting to understand your point of view.
> From where I stand, we are offering a way for someone to unlock someone's
> else
> computer without a password.
> I understand the procedure isn't straight forward:
> - Find unattended and unlocked laptop
> - Enroll your fingerprint
> - Gain access to the computer whenever you want
>
> I do realise that to do the second step you need access to the machine, which
> is
> pretty much the third step.
> But enrolling your fingerprint is likely less noticeable by the owner of the
> machine then, say, changing their password (which actually asks for the
> current
> password first), but will give you want you ask: permanent access to the
> machine
> (physically).

Password prompts in GNOME do mention that the fingerprint reader is activated, so
it's not so much opening a backdoor as opening the bay window next to the front
door.

> This is all nicely theoretical but it still seems like something that should
> be
> fixed, no?

It keeps slipping by, and it's not super important, which is the reason why it
keeps getting forgotten.

I'll get to it next time I do maintenance on fprintd.

Cheers