Re: F24, small backward steps

On 09/09/2016 04:44 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 15:53 -0400, Roger Wells wrote:
>> Just a couple of smallish things after upgrading (via dnf) from F23 to
>> F24 a couple of months ago:
>>
>> 1. deja-dup gui:
>>
>>         one has to deselect then reselect the Overview option in order
>> to be offered the "Backup Now" option.
>>
>>         The details option in the progress dialog will only display two
>> or three lines, is not resizeable, and does not follow resizing the
>> entire dialog
>>
>>         The progress dialog does not wait to be dismissed at the end,
>> causing any messages about problems (like failure to backup a particular
>> file) to not be seen
>
> This really isn't anything particular to Fedora. deja-dup is just an
> app we ship. The appropriate place to report issues with it is to its
> upstream bug tracker.

Just did that.

>> 2. fingerprint identification:
>>
>>         The laptop has a fingerprint reader and it works fine.  However
>> I prefer not to use it. The user set up specifies that fingerprint login
>> is disabled.
>>
>>         However whenever I am asked for a password the fingerprint
>> reader blinks until I swipe a finger over it (even after using a
>> password).
>>
>>         No fingerprint is registered.
>>
>>         This is different than F23 where it never blinked.
>
> This you should probably file a bug on (against, I guess, gnome-shell?
> But it depends a lot on the answer to my second question below...), but
> with a bit more detail. What exactly do you mean by "The user set up
> specifies that fingerprint login is disabled" - what "user set up" are
> you referring to exactly? When exactly does this happen - more detail
> on "whenever I am asked for a password". Thanks!

1. Press the button on the upper right corner of the Gnome desktop.
2. Press the settings button on the lower left of the menu
3. Select Users

On the resulting "Users" dialog one can select Fingerprint Login:
Disabled/Enabled

In my case it is Disabled

As far as when this occurs, at least:
1. at boot up login
2. after suspense login
and not
1. not when a browser asks for a password when visiting a site
2. when issuing a command using sudo, like mounting an external share

Once again, this did not occur on F23 and started as soon as I upgraded
to F24

Its no big deal.  We could do like windows 10 which just stops the
fingerprint reader when a password is entered.

Let me know if you think I should submit this upstream somewhere.

It feels like it may be similar to the scrolling problems mentioned that
seem be fixed after installing libinit and adjusting some configuration
files in /etc.  After doing that the Gnome "Mouse & Touchpad" settings
dialog (same place as the "Users" mentioned above) took on a whole new
meaningful life.

HTH,
thanks for your response

--