Re: RFC: Round 2 review of Fedora Docker Layered Image Guidelines

Quoting Adam Miller (2016-05-31 19:12:47)
> Hello all,
>     I had previously sent out a RFC email about a month ago asking for
> feedback on the Fedora Docker Layered Image Guidelines[0].
>
> I was asked by FESCo to start a new thread so that this can be
> discussed further on the devel mailing list before we discuss it in
> FESCo. Therefore if there are any requested items from the original
> email thread that would like to be revisited, please bring them up
> here.
>
> Beyond that, my main question to everyone beyond the discussions we
> had previously is: Is there any interest in forming a Fedora Container
> Packaging Committee (I'm not married to the name, apply whatever color
> of paint to that bikeshed) just as we have the Fedora Packaging
> Committee?
>
> Links of interest also in the first thread[1][2][3][4]
>
> [0] - https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/VHXGAR2YMVSJXYZPWH5A27JFFFLRR3IG/
> [0] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Layered_Docker_Image_Build_Service
> [1] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Containers
> [2] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Package_Review_Process_with_Containers
> [3] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Draft/Packaging:DockerLayeredImageNamingGuidelines
> [4] - https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1573
> --

Glad you mentioned this on your Flock talk.

# My feedback

 * "FIXME Naming guidelines for containers?"
  * It would be nice if Fedora followed definition in [1].

 * "Wait for someone to review your Dockerfile!"
  * I would say that the whole submission should be reviewed: Dockerfile,
    configuration files and scripts.

 * Guidelines suggest to use "BZComponent" but upstream label guidelines mention
   "com.redhat.component"; I would suggest using the latter one (disclaimer: I
   participated actively in the early history of changes in the label name, am
   quite surprised it's still not sorted out -- not blaming anyone)

 * "Content"
  * "Dockerfiles in Fedora should not contain net new code"
   * Are scripts, used as "CMD", new code? I'm asking because these could be
     pretty complex

 * Is the sample Dockerfile what every container image maintainer should start
   with? (my point is "FROM" and "MAINTAINER" instructions since these are not
   precisely described)

 * How about `dnf update -y`, is this best practise? Container best practises
   somewhat imply it shouldn't be used.

I gotta say I like the guidelines. They are short, straightforward, they mention
important sources: container best practises, project atomic label guidelines,
upstream documentation, etc. I'm pretty sure they will evolve over the time --
it's not possible to figure everything out in the beginning. Especially when the
ecosystem is changing so frequently.

One follow up question to your talk:

You mentioned that it's planned to migrate Fedora-Dockerfiles [2] from github to
dist-git. Will all of these go through review process? I would like to
participate.

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md
[2] https://github.com/fedora-cloud/Fedora-Dockerfiles

Well done Adam! Can't wait to have official fedora-based docker images!

(I'm sending this second time b/c it looks like that the first e-mail
haven't arrived to fedora-devel)

~~
Tomáš Tomeček
Engineer @ RHEL Next Generation