Re: F25 Self Contained Change: Rust Compiler

On 07/14/2016 05:15 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Until the Rust ecosystem becomes more stable, it is better to upgrade
> it regularly than have a stale tool nobody can really use.
> There are even crates that work only with nightlies for now, so trying
> to stay on par is necessary to make it useful. Also, although I am big
> fan of dynamic linking we should probably keep Rust program built
> statically for now, until Rust gets a stable ABI, or the breakages will
> defeat any advantage we may get.

Thanks, that's pretty much how I feel too.  We can't do much for those
that want nightly (though I might start a copr), but for everyone else
it's probably best to keep shipping the newest Rust possible.

We agree on static compilation too.  Even once there is an ABI, there's
a lot to think about how generics are instantiated -- although at that
point I guess it's not too different from C++ template considerations.

I've also been experimenting with how crates could be packaged, and
while I still think source-based devel rpms are the answer, the tooling
doesn't seem to be there yet.  I think we'll need directory registries
from here[1], and until then only we should only ship rustc and cargo.
[1] https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/pull/2857

(That won't prevent Firefox packagers from using Rust, if they want to,
since their code is currently vendored into the source tarball anyway.)