Re: Accidentally installed libtool wrapper scripts instead of binaries

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:27:11 PM CEST Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Just a note more than anything, since I don't see this problem
> discussed anywhere in the packaging guidelines ...
> [...]
> I accidentally packaged some libtool wrapper scripts by doing:

It probably rarely happens as the 'make install' should do the right thing.

>   %install
>   install -m 0755 utils/boot-analysis/boot-analysis $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/libguestfs-boot-analysis
>
> Nothing in our toolchain highlighted this mistake.  Can we make RPM
> complain?

I'm not sure whether it is worth to spent much time with heuristics ...
On the other hand -- quick grep through installed 'POSIX shell script' files (by
/bin/file) installed in %_bindir wouldn't hurt the performance too much,
nor manpower.

Is anybody able to grep through many (all?) packages whether this ever
happened accidentally before?

I doubt installed wrapper script worked for you;  but yes - it might be too
late as not everything is manually tested (if not detected by toolchain).

> To fix it you have to use the following command instead:
>
>   libtool --mode=install install -m 0755 utils/boot-analysis/boot-analysis $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/libguestfs-boot-analysis
>
> (Note the libtool documentation is incorrect - it doesn't consistently
> mention that you need to specify the 'install' command.)

Thanks for pointing that, I'll try to have a look.  Sounds like very old typo
in libtool.texi.

Pavel