Accidentally installed libtool wrapper scripts instead of binaries

Just a note more than anything, since I don't see this problem
discussed anywhere in the packaging guidelines ...

If a package uses libtool, then sometimes libtool generates bash
scripts instead of executables.  These libtool wrapper scripts can be
run from the build directory and run the real executable which is
hidden away in a subdirectory like '.libs'.  They are (another)
misfeature of libtool IMO.

I accidentally packaged some libtool wrapper scripts by doing:

  %install
  install -m 0755 utils/boot-analysis/boot-analysis $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/libguestfs-boot-analysis

Nothing in our toolchain highlighted this mistake.  Can we make RPM
complain?

To fix it you have to use the following command instead:

  libtool --mode=install install -m 0755 utils/boot-analysis/boot-analysis $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/libguestfs-boot-analysis

(Note the libtool documentation is incorrect - it doesn't consistently
mention that you need to specify the 'install' command.)

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v