Re: F25 System Wide Change: KillUserProcesses=yes by default

On Sat, 09.07.16 17:09, Ben Rosser (rosser.bjr@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I think this needs to be rethought. The  options right now are, modify
> > an as yet unknown quantity of background programs so they aren't
> > killed on user logout; vs logout/restart/shutdown likely hanging for
> > 90 seconds. It seems the work around would be to modify screen and
> > tmux, and then run all such background tasks in either screen or tmux.
> > But, that's kinda, wow... bit of a hammer.
>

> A thought occurred to me: would it be possible to instead implement a
> whitelist of *binaries* that are allowed to linger, rather than going
> around patching everything? So for example rather than having to modify the
> codebase of screen, we have a (sysadmin-modifiable) whitelist that says
> /usr/bin/screen is allowed to linger? Perhaps this would be something
> shipped by the screen package, so /usr/bin/screen is only whitelisted if
> the package providing it installed.

That's hardly useful, as "screen" alone is useless as it's just a
frontend to other programs (such as a shell that is run inside the
"screen" instance), and if we kill those, then "screen" doesn't need
to be around either...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat