Re: F25 System Wide Change: KillUserProcesses=yes by default

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: KillUserProcesses=yes by default =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KillUserProcesses_by_default
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Set the default policy to terminate processes in session scope when
> the user logs out. Specifically, systemd-logind's KillUserProcesses
> setting, which currently is set to "no" to override the upstream
> default, will be removed to follow the upstream default of "yes".

We already discussed this idea on this mailing list. It's a *horrible*
idea. It breaks screen, nohup processes and all backgrounded tasks,
especially if the user has lost their remote SSH session or closed
their console session. As I understand the "feature", it produces *no
log whatsoever* of having done so. "We'll kill stuff without telling
anyone" is like pullling the fuses of someone else's house to save
electricity without warning them. It's not reasonable behavior.

I've plenty of colleagues who write lengthy compilation tasks or mysql
queries and log out to let them run in the background. They use nohup,
they use "screen" sessions, and they even use NX sessions. So do I,
with lengthy compilation tasks taking 20 hours on my own VM or
machine, and so does this recent perl script I saw that waits 10
minutes at a time to check for a flag file befpre running a task, and
is supposed to always stays resident.

Simply killing all of those because the logged in users lost their
direct connection would get most admins fired, long before killing
idle processes would earn them the political capital to save their
jobs.

For a larger environment, it still shouldn't be killing the tasks
automatically, That's what scheduled nightly reboots, or nightly
audits and autokills with user email notifications are for.