Re: Fedora development of Snap packages

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The container/security thing is nothing specific or special to Flatpak
> and others, in fact it's more theater than anything else anyway, as it
> only works when conditions are "just right" (i.e., Wayland,
> supercharged containerization with SELinux, etc.).

If Flatpak applications silently run without sandboxing, I think it's
a problem. The user is being asked to trust that these applications
offer better security, so they need to do that or they need to be
informed in some user friendly manner.

I'd rather be bugged (spammed, whatever) every time I run a Flatpak
application that is not being sandboxed, than for this to be silently
not using sandboxing. I'd even rather have the application fail to
launch by default, if sandboxing won't occur, possibly with a user
override, even if that override were tedious, i.e. a flag used to
launch the application from command line, although maybe that's
creating too easy of an attack vector.

--
Chris Murphy