Re: Fedora development of Snap packages

On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 16:45 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> Well, if a packager wants to maintain it, why not?
>
> As someone who's a bit skeptical about containers as the future of
> software
> distribution, I'd like to continue getting "traditionally packaged"
> applications from Fedora where possible. I became a Fedora packager
> as a
> large part because I wanted to expand the pool of such software that
> was
> available in Fedora, by making it available to other users. It seems
> like
> that's not a thing we're going to care about as much going forward,
> which I
> guess is... fine, but I kind of have mixed feelings about the whole
> thing.
>
> I suspect I am in a minority here, though.

No, we'll still need RPM packages for lots and lots and lots of
applications. They're not going away.

In the specific case where upstream decides to ship a Flatpak and wants
to distribute that Flatpak in Fedora, then it seems advantageous to
make that available in Fedora rather than our RPMs, so you get updates
from upstream, exactly the way upstream intends, on upstream's
schedule, that run the same on every distro, without conflicting with
Fedora packages. There's a huge technical advantage to that. But most
upstreams are not going to adopt this technology; it's just an option
to make distributing your application easier. Packagers are still
needed to package stuff that's not yet available on Fedora, same as
always.

As for whether we should start discussing this... seems it's happening.
:)

Michael