Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 11:28:42AM +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Thursday 02 June 2016 14:38:38 Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I think the discussion is starting to go in circles. It is pretty clear
> > that we have different opinions about the desired behavior of logout.
>
> I'll take this as an opportunity to raise a separate issue.
>
> The current implementation has only 2 levels of control: global and individual (lingering).
> For non-tiny organizations this isn't good enough:
>  * I would expect that root may set lingering for *groups* as well.

That's not a bad idea. You might want to file an RFE at
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/new to move this forward.

>  * Otherwise, administrators need to set policy per-individual and we are back
>    to square one (killing individual user processes).
>
>  * Than we can have better default policy (e.g: members of groups wheel
>    and staff have "lingering" on).
>
>  * Example: something similar to access.conf(5) (but "<foo>.d/*.conf" not
>    a monolithic file).

logind reads configuration snippets from /usr/lib/systemd/logind.conf.d/
and /etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/. It should be just a matter of extending
the configuration directive parsing to support groups and whatnot.

>  * The design should assume that in the future, large organization would
>    expect it their directory service.
>    (e.g: like sudoers can now be integrated in IPA).

I think polkit should have no issue with talking to IPA, so 'loginctl
enable-linger' should support such policies already. If logind gained
understanding of groups, this should work automatically too: it would
use getpwent or similar call, which would query either the local
database or the directory service, depending on local configuration.

Zbyszek