Re: No mass rebuild in Fedora 25

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On 05/02/2016 01:24 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> There is strong engineering value in having two releases per year:
>> release early, release often. There are many projects that develop
>> through Fedora that get thrown into disarray when our cycle gets too far
>> out of whack (prominent examples being GNOME and glibc)
>
> The distribution is made out of 14k+ components most of which of those
> components completely out of sync with the Gnome and Glibc one which
> means components that make up different products are not synced with
> those two components cycle, which means that you cannot have one
> product's release cycle be synced with another or bound to it's release
> cycle.
>
> Even historically QA did not manage to deal with this release cycle when
> distribution was smaller and when it was just one "generic" release but
> despite all the evidence of this not working through the years you still
> push this one forward which means in other words Red Hat wants the
> distribution cycle to be forcefully synced with Gnome and does what it
> takes to do so which is why it's back on Gnome's release cycle despite
> everything indicating it should not be on that cycle at the cost of the
> community and quality of the distribution.

+1

Upstream projects MUST NOT depend on downstream release cycles. This tight
coupling between GNOME and Fedora is really unhealthy for both projects. A
postponed or canceled (like the one that would have happened 6 months after
F20) Fedora release should not have any effect on upstream at all.

> If there is genuine interest of start releasing fedora on time you will
> not achieve that goal by not doing or blocking mass rebuilds, you either
> need to stabilize anaconda development earlier in the cycle or find
> another installer for the distribution that can exist outside the
> distribution release cycles and does not have to be rewritten like
> people are getting paid for it every cycle.

https://calamares.io/

        Kevin Kofler