Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On 04/27/2016 10:00 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 26 April 2016 at 22:00, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> OK folks, it's Bad Decision Time.
>>>

>>> I realize this is inopportune, but it's best if we figure out *immediately* how
>>> we're going to handle this.

>>> 1) Downgrade back to 4.x, downgrading or dropping any modules in the collection
>>> that don't run on that LTS version.
>>> 2) Stick with 5.x for the life of Fedora 24, handling security backports
>>> ourselves once it hits EOL this summer.
>>> 3) Upgrade to 6.x, fixing or dropping any modules in the collection that don't
>>> run on it yet.
>>>

>> 4) Drop NodeJS from Fedora 24 altogether. If there isn't one already,
>> have a nodejs team built of people who are interested in it and are
>> committed to doing things like side builds and similar requirements.

We have that already. The Node.js SIG exists, but I've been acting as
coordinator for the base pieces. I'm going to be stepping down from that soon
(which is why I asked for someone to step up there), but there *are* people
doing plenty of other work (notably Tom Hughes and Jared Smith).

> That would be a pretty big regression considering it has been in
> Fedora for a while.  The user experience of needing nodejs and then
> having to hunt for it after upgrade seems poor.

Yeah, not acceptable in my opinion.

>> They can then have a plan on what nodejs work should be done and what
>> plans they will align on. This would be similar to the perl/python and
>> other groups.. and makes sure that when someone bows out it doesn't
>> kill the entire stack until someone comes in to build the work again.
>
> I don't disagree having a nodejs team would be a good idea, but I
> think you're being a bit unfair to Stephen.  He hasn't bowed out yet
> and even a well intentioned nodejs team could have made the same
> choices that led to this situation.

For the record, we *did* have a team that made these choices. When I suggested
moving to Node 5 to avoid an issue we introduced with a version discrepancy
between upstream and Fedora's npm delivery, we failed to notice the maintenance
schedule incompatibility. So now we're trying to figure out how best to resolve it.