Re: Plans for Node.js 6.x

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26 April 2016 at 22:00, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> OK folks, it's Bad Decision Time.
>>

>> I realize this is inopportune, but it's best if we figure out *immediately* how
>> we're going to handle this.

>> 1) Downgrade back to 4.x, downgrading or dropping any modules in the collection
>> that don't run on that LTS version.
>> 2) Stick with 5.x for the life of Fedora 24, handling security backports
>> ourselves once it hits EOL this summer.
>> 3) Upgrade to 6.x, fixing or dropping any modules in the collection that don't
>> run on it yet.
>>

> 4) Drop NodeJS from Fedora 24 altogether. If there isn't one already,
> have a nodejs team built of people who are interested in it and are
> committed to doing things like side builds and similar requirements.

That would be a pretty big regression considering it has been in
Fedora for a while.  The user experience of needing nodejs and then
having to hunt for it after upgrade seems poor.

> They can then have a plan on what nodejs work should be done and what
> plans they will align on. This would be similar to the perl/python and
> other groups.. and makes sure that when someone bows out it doesn't
> kill the entire stack until someone comes in to build the work again.

I don't disagree having a nodejs team would be a good idea, but I
think you're being a bit unfair to Stephen.  He hasn't bowed out yet
and even a well intentioned nodejs team could have made the same
choices that led to this situation.

josh