Re: F25 Self Contained Change: Replace UDisks2 by Storaged

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

What about GNOME transitioning to use storaged directly? There are
things missing for some time, like filesystem resize, LVM thin, almost
anything related to Btrfs, etc.

>> > I'm fairly certain we don't want iSCSI binaries in the Workstation
>> > installation (we've been trying to get rid of the ones that Anaconda brings
>> > in already).
>> >
>> > I also don't see why ZRam is something 1) you'd want to have to configure,
>> > 2) that has its place in a storage API.
>>
>> It's been put to the API because Blivet would like to use it from storaged
>> eventually.
>
> Still, I don't understand the use-case for such an interface.

It's the creation of a block device that needs configuration: size,
max size, compression algorithm, and that config presumably needs to
be stored somewhere to create zram and swap at boot since it's
volatile. And since it's a alternative for swap on disk, it makes
sense to have an API that the installer can use, and other things can
modify/manage post-install rather than each thing having to reinvent
that wheel.

--
Chris Murphy