Re: iproute package split

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 01:09:11PM +0200, Phil Sutter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 06:01:14PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
> > I am in the process of splitting the 'tc' utility off from iproute
> > package. The motivation for this comes from two things:
>
> After considering your feedback (thanks!) and just going for it (thereby
> messing up Rawhide a bit), I am kind of stuck in a dilemma regarding
> proper implementation of the upgrade path:
>
> The original idea was to have a seamless transition, so users updating
> their system would automatically install iproute-tc as it's contents
> were previously provided by iproute itself.
>
> Though it seems like in order to implement this, I would have to rename
> the original iproute package into e.g. iproute-ip and in addition to
> that add a meta package iproute-compat which obsoletes iproute and
> requires both iproute-ip and iproute-tc - not the most beautiful
> solution in my opinion.

If you have:

(main package)
Obsoletes: %{name} < the-new-version-release

%package tc
Obsoletes: %{name} < the-new-version-release

Both subpackages should get installed on upgrade.

Maybe you already thought about this, but I'd add
Recommends: iproute-tc to the main package, and
Requires: iproute-tc = %{version}-%{release} to tc subpackage.

Zbyszek