Re: iproute package split

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 06:01:14PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
> I am in the process of splitting the 'tc' utility off from iproute
> package. The motivation for this comes from two things:

After considering your feedback (thanks!) and just going for it (thereby
messing up Rawhide a bit), I am kind of stuck in a dilemma regarding
proper implementation of the upgrade path:

The original idea was to have a seamless transition, so users updating
their system would automatically install iproute-tc as it's contents
were previously provided by iproute itself.

Though it seems like in order to implement this, I would have to rename
the original iproute package into e.g. iproute-ip and in addition to
that add a meta package iproute-compat which obsoletes iproute and
requires both iproute-ip and iproute-tc - not the most beautiful
solution in my opinion.

Avoiding the above would break upgrade path as I can't make the "new"
iproute package (which doesn't contain tc) require iproute-tc only if an
update happens from an "old" iproute package.

Ideally we would change dependencies of all packages depending on
iproute to depend on iproute-tc as well if they really need tc itself,
though that takes time of course.

What I can think of now is to simply have iproute require iproute-tc for
a while so updated systems stay functional and after dependencies in
other packages have been sorted drop this requirement from iproute.

What do you think, is this last option acceptable or do I have to go the
"official" way of changing iproute into iproute-ip, iproute-tc and
iproute-compat (thereby forcing all depending packages to adjust as
well)?

Thanks, Phil