Re: [GCC6] fatal error: You must enable NEON instructions (e.g. -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon) to use these intrinsics.

>> Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> It's an issue we see occasionally where the package thinks it knows
>>> better than the explicit CFLAGs being set, I'll get it sorted out.
>>
>> But why are those intrinsics now requiring NEON at all? Those are GCC byte
>> swap intrinsics documented as being architecture-independent and should be
>> implemented in software (through shifts or rotates) when there is no native
>> byte swap instruction.
>>
>> And is Fedora actually requiring NEON as the baseline on ARM? I thought it
>> was not.
>
> We require an ARMv7A or newer and a VFP with enough registers to support
> the hard ABI e.g. -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16

Correct, there is no requirement for NEON, it's optional in the ARMv7
spec. Some code looks at the HW and tries incorrectly to enable NEON
optimisation, this is incorrect code, it should be obeying the CFLAGS
passed by the compiler and if it wishes to support NEON do so with
fast paths in the code (see libpng/pixman/cairo for examples). This
isn't new to gcc6, we've seen it on and off ever since I've been
dealing with ARM architectures all the way back to (at least) gcc 4.3

Peter