Re: Unannounced soname bump: libpsl

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 05:10:43AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Ideally, every
> line in a package definition (specfile or what have you) is only there
> because of some exception from the typical case. For well-behaved
> upstreams, the perfect packaging description would be _empty_. With all
> of our legacy, we can't really do that*, but I think it's better if we
> move _towards_ it rather than away. It makes package creation easier
> (and easier to automate), and it makes _review_ much _much_ easier,
> simply because there's less to look at and everything you do look at
> should be significant rather than boilerplate.

So, looking at the boilerplate that is present in all (or nearly all)
libraries I maintain, I see:

1. Rpath removal
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Removing_Rpath

sed -i \
    -e 's|^hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=.*|hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=""|g' \
    -e 's|^runpath_var=LD_RUN_PATH|runpath_var=DIE_RPATH_DIE|g' \
    libtool

2. Removal of .la files

3. Removal of doc files, installed by make install, which are packaged
in a subpackage, because otherwise they would be duplicated in the main
package
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Documentation
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/338

All three are common and required by the guidelines. So, if you are
going to fight boilerplate, I respectfully suggest that you start with
these...

D.