Re: Unannounced soname bump: libpsl

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 10:20:32 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:

> The reason to not use globs anyway, though, is simple and exactly the
> one in this thread: when the soname changes, all the package's
> dependencies need rebuilding. Thus, as the packager, you need to know
> when the soname changes. If you use a glob for the filename, you don't
> automatically know when the soname changes. If you don't use a glob,
> you do automatically know when the soname changes. Thus it's better.

Since I'm buried beneath unread and unreplied mails, just this:

Even if the spec file uses wildcards to include any shared library
version, the automatic dependency checks for Rawhide will notice the
SONAME change and inform the packager about it. => The packager will
need to take proper action and not dump incompatible packages into
the updates repo for stable dist releases. Unfortunately, some
packagers seems to miss the broken deps reports or ignore them and
perhaps are not aware of the consequences either. Oh, and I think
we've also had some packagers not using wildcards and still rushing
out with incompatible library updates simply because they underestimated
the breakage.