Re: Packages URLs and download URLs

On 2016-01-15, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think having old, dead upstream packages for too long in Fedora is bad
> and I see very little reasons for that.

The reason is that users want the software. There are many
upstream-unmaintained tools that do not have replacement. For example
`indent' for formatting C sources.

> How can we check sources integrity if there are no upstream sources to
> compare?

You have hashes in look-aside cache, in dist-git, you have historical
SRPMs, you have other distributions with their source archives.

The fact that original upstream URL does not work does not make the
software better or worse.

In the end, there are upstreams that don't know how to release and
provide non-versioned archives. Or you have hosting services that
actively infects the files with their marketing features. Or the
upstream includes non-free intelectual property and Fedora strips the
source archives.

You can have many reasons why the upstream does not match and preventing
the software from delivering it just because of that is not my taste.

-- Petr