Re: ZFS on linux

On 14 January 2016 at 12:20, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> Am 14.01.2016 um 19:57 schrieb Gerald B. Cox:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxx
>>> <mailto:notting@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     As a rule, I try not to take legal licensing interpretations from a
>>> CTO
>>>     who's trying to sell me the thing they're talking about the
>>>     licensing of.
>>>
>>>     We certainly could send that interpretation of CDDL/GPL and the
>>>     kernel to the
>>>     legal team... but I'm not sure they'd agree with it.
>>>

>>> Well, if Lawrence Livermore is doing it, and Canonical apparently plans
>>> to do it, it probably would be a good idea to get a determination from
>>> the legal team
>>

>> who is "Lawrence Livermore"?
>>

> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is an organization founded by
> the University of California to do research and development for
> academic and government purposes. The US Department of Energy
> commissioned them to port ZFS to Linux quite a long time ago[0], which
> is the foundation of the current ZFS on Linux codebase.
>
> Please do some research before actually saying things.

Might be good if you did also :).

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a US Government/Department
of Energy laboratory that UC Berkeley has a hand in managing. It was
not founded by the University of California but came out of the post
Manhatten project to build the hydrogen bomb. The US DOE did not
commission the lab to make the port. The port was done as part of a
project to have a large scale filesystem work for certain computer
clusters. That work got special permission from Sun but those
permissions look to be sealed.

Just because a port was done and then released does not mean that
Lawrence Livermore is using it in any large way etc. There are
thousands of projects that come out of these labs which maybe 3-20
students, grad students and phd's worked on but aren't in any use.
Most of them will get that file attached to them which doesn't mean
that LLNL sactioned it, DOE commission it etc etc. It just means that
it was done at the lab as part of some project and the law requires
that the file is attached to it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.