Re: F24 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

On 7.12.2015 20:35, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 07.12.15 15:31, Björn Persson (Bjorn@rombobjörn.se) wrote:
>
>> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> You *have* to use the local DNS servers by default, even if they are
>>> crap.
>>
>> I for one want my laptop to be suspicious of random DNS servers it
>> encounters in public places, and bypass them if they're found to be
>> lying.
>
> Well, if you are knoweledgeable enough to understand the problem, then
> you hould also be able to install/configure dnssec yourself. But I am
> pretty sure that the typical user is neither knowledgeable enough
> about this to make the decision, nor does he really care...
>
> As I understood the feature was posted to make something the default
> in Fedora, and I am just concerned about that new default.
>
>> It seems to me that the system needs to ask the user whether they are
>> in a public hotspot that they're using only as a way to access the
>> Internet, or whether they're visiting a friend and want to access
>> internal servers. I don't see a way to tell the difference reliably
>> without any user interaction.
>
> I think that would be pretty bad UI. You shouldn't ask users questions
> they likely won't grok. In fact, you better shouldn't ask users
> technical questions at all...

Lennart, you could find more information in the Fedora change page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Networking/NameResolution/DNSSEC/Design#Broken_networks

As you might see, we were thinking about this hard and actually made attempted
to make it interaction-less.

In short, public/fallback DNS servers will be used to detect if part of DNS
sub-tree (like home.lennart.me) is unsigned. If the sub-tree is unsigned the
query will be re-send to local servers and returned to the client.

The assumption here is that if your domain is signed you have enough wisdom so
use DNSSEC-enabled resolvers in your network. If the domain is not signed we
will trust the crappy local servers.

--
Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat