Re: F24 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

On 05.12.2015 18:57, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/30/2015 05:14 PM, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> We want to have Unbound server installed and running on localhost by
>> default on Fedora systems. Where necessary, have also dnssec-trigger
>> installed and running by default
>
> Would someone please clarify the proposal if Unbound would run as a
> forwarder, or as a stand-alone recursive resolver?

It depends on the network. If the resolvers from the DHCP are usable
for DNSSEC, then these will be used as forwarders. Nevertheless, Unbound
does the validation locally, so it will query for all the necessary
data to build the chain of trust.

In case the network-provided resolvers are not usable for DNSSEC, then
Unbound is configured to do the recursion.

In case this is blocked on the network, Unbound is configured to tunnel
the DNS queries to Fedora public infrastructure over TCP (80, 443) or
SSL (443), in which case this is similar to the first situation, when
Unbound forwards queries to the resolvers, but does the validation
locally.

This is part of dnssec-trigger documentation, since it is used as the
mean to reconfigure Unbound.

Tomas

> Thanks,
> Florian
> --

Tomas Hozza
Software Engineer - EMEA ENG Developer Experience

PGP: 1D9F3C2D
UTC+1 (CET)
Red Hat Inc.                 http://cz.redhat.com