Re: Granting a capability to a service

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, July 20, 2015 12:45:28 PM Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

>> > The real problem with capabilities is there is no way to say, I trust this
>> > child process with this capability, but don't let it get inherited beyond
>> > this process that I'm about to start.
>>
>> Why would you want to do that?
>
> Because you know exactly why the program needs a capability and its not known
> to have children.

I assume you mean that it's known not to have children.  That's a
somewhat unusual thing to know about a program.

> Therefore any children must be because of an exploit. The
> way it is, capabilities are inherited and you can't stop it.

Programs that can usefully drop capabilities should do so.  Having the
program's caller specifically rig it so that execve drops capabilities
seems next to useless as a mitigation technique -- an attacker will
simply refrain from using execve in their exploits.

--Andy