Is %autosetup another unwanted baby of Fedora?

Hi

When I moved to Fedora after years of doing Debian packages I noticed that there is no such thing as patch management when it comes to Fedora packages. Everyone is using %patch macro with files of random patchlevel (some even use reverse patches).

%autosetup was created to handle that but probably less than 5% of packages use it. Why?

Is it because no one told that it exists? Or maybe because implementation has some issues which no one wants to fix? Or other (I exclude laziness of package maintainers)?