Re: hibernation support - lack of distro-wide coordination between systemd, dracut, anaconda, pm-utils and maybe more?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:00:52AM -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 04/13/2015 11:34 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >OK, so swap 2x memory seems excessive. Actually swap with the same as
> >memory should work *most* of the time. There's no guarantee that any
> >amount swap will be enough, since it could all be filled by the time
> >hibernation is requested, but we should try to cover most normal
> >usage. But considering that swap will be slow on HDD, so users will
> >most likely avoid using more than a small amount, and SDD are small,
> >so it's expensive to provide bigger swap, the default that anaconda
> >uses seems OK. An exception is for computers with small amount of RAM
> >(<= 2GB?). There swaps is more likely to be filled and the default
> >size for swap should imho be higher than the amount of RAM.
> Exactly! remember that a typical disk speed is few tens of MB/s,
> i.e. about 1 GB/min. I came to the conclusion that anything more
> than 4GB is just counterproductive. Large swap just deceives us into
> thinking that we can run jobs larger than the physical memory but
> that is really not the case, just like Seymour Cray said [1].
The amount of swap space used should be controlled by vm.swappiness
sysctl and kernel algorithms, not by making the swap small.

> Maybe swap space should simply be max(4GB, $PhysicalMemory).
> Actually, isn't 'swap to filesystem' still an option? if so,  maybe
> swap should be a constant 4GB, and hibernation should create an
> appropriately sized file on the fly, join it to the swap and use
> both.
I think it should be other way around: swap partition big enough to
hibernate, i.e. the size of RAM, and a dynamnically sized swap
file if more swap space is needed for non-hibernation data.

Zbyszek