Re: FESCo Meeting Minutes (2015-03-04)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 04:29:05PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 03/05/2015 02:44 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >While I would love to see 100% migration, the benefits for leaf packages
> >aren't that big. We have fairly good compatibility support, and only
> >a small number of people are using each package.
>
> Nobody can use those leaf packages unless the legacy sysv initscript
> has been renamed in them which is why FESCo could just as well drop
> those package this release cycle and where did you get the statistic
> that only small number was using the remaining unmigrated
> components?
It's true that those scripts are mostly useless, but by the same
token, they don't cause problems. It seems it will be hard to keep F22
on schedule anyway, so even if dropping them now is unlikely to cause
problems, it is extra work and *might* cause some small issues, so
dropping them in rawhide is good enough.

> >And there's the problem of who should do the work. I don't think
> >FESCo members can be responsible personally for the implementation,
> >and so far nobody has stepped up.
[snip FPC stuff]
FESCo != FPC. And people do have differening viewpoints on technical
matters, so sometimes some convincing is necessary. I'm fine with
that. And while I disagree with some decisions, compromise is an
unavoidable cost of working with other people.

[snip FESCo stuff]
Sure, they changed their previous decision. But the new decision goes
in the right direction, so let's accept it and move on.

Zbyszek