Re: FESCo Meeting Minutes (2015-03-04)

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 14:35:39 +0100
Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 07:41:45AM +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
> > On 2015-03-04, Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > * #615 Strategy for services that do not have systemd native unit
> > > files (ajax, 18:03:09)
> > >   * AGREED: drop sysvinit subpackages if a systemd unit file
> > > exists, in f23  (ajax, 18:17:32)
> > >   * AGREED: drop sysvinit subpackages if a systemd unit file
> > > exists, in f23  (ajax, 18:18:00)
> > >   * ACTION: ajax to prune sysvinit subpackages in f23  (ajax,
> > > 18:22:03)
> > >
> > What? The topic was "services that do not have systemd native unit
> > files" but the decision was on "subpackages if a systemd unit file
> > exists"?
> >
> > In other words, the decision was about completly different set of
> > packages?

This was mostly just an artifact of that ticket being filed 4 years
ago, and fesco was mostly talking about the most recent actual proposal
( https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/615#comment:43 )

> Yes, but this decision makes sense imho. The way I understand FESCo
> members' reasoning is:
>
> 1. dropping sysinit support in packages *with* systemd unit files is
>    the first step.
> 2. it is too late to do anything for F22 anyway, and after 1. is done,
>    the issue can be revisited for packages *without* direct systemd
> support.

Yeah.

Speaking only for myself:

* I think we should continue to encourage maintainers and upstreams to
  move to systemd native unit files wherever possible.

* I don't think we should as a policy drop or remove packages that have
  not yet done so.

kevin