Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On 05/01/15 17:35, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

Here in the fourth world USA, we aren't actually seeing a decrease in
slow lines but an increase as the oligarchy in control of networks is
figuring out ways to advertise faster speeds but actually only deliver
much slower ones. You can get 200 MB in a short burst and then 4.5 MB
and your upstream is most likely 128kb->256kb. I realize that Europe has
a much better infrastructure these days.. but 60% of Fedora customers
are in rural US regions which aren't as well served.

In any case, for everyone in this conversation. Please please please
don't make the assumption that because X does or does not work great for
you because of where you live etc.. that everyone else has the same
experience. Actually assume it is probably safer to assume that outside
of whatever reality bubble you live in, it is not.

I don't envy how the political climate on your continent has affected this for you. However, connecting to the top of this sub-thread, for the Fedora Workstation usecase this is not necessarily that bad - a developer works normally with local tools, although of course browsing and downloading is affected by network speed.

Cheers!

--alec