Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28 December 2014 at 17:32, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/29/2014 12:58 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

>>> Not really. At a previous workplace, we used two different IDEs for the
>>> two programming languages we needed to work with, and wrote GUI apps to
>>> handle whatever we might otherwise need a terminal to handle.
>>
>> Maybe it's my age which gradually going to show, but I would not call
>> these people "developers" but would call these folks "IDE-operators".
>>

> It is your age, and there has been nothing gradual about it.. Look the world
> has moved a lot in the last 30 years, and we have gone past the point where
> current developers are humouring us old folk for making jokes about
> IDE-operators. It is not a joke as much as a "wow those people are pathetic"
> in the same way when we were younger and wondered why "old" people still
> wore double polyester flare bottom pants in the late 1980's.

>From 1984 to 2001 there was a rather popular platform that didn't have
a CLI. It wasn't hidden, it simply didn't exist. Its replacement has a
terminal application, but the developer CLI tools are an optional
installation, it remains predominately a GUI development environment.

So I don't think it's an age thing, but rather a lack of awareness of
the historical and current state of software development in the wider
world. Developers have been developing software without CLIs for a
long time.

--
Chris Murphy