Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On 12/29/2014 04:28 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On 28 December 2014 at 17:32, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 12/29/2014 12:58 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

        On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Alec Leamas
        <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Hm... developers which never touches the terminal?! Seems like a
            really narrow group (?)

        Not really. At a previous workplace, we used two different IDEs
        for the
        two programming languages we needed to work with, and wrote GUI
        apps to
        handle whatever we might otherwise need a terminal to handle.

    Maybe it's my age which gradually going to show, but I would not
    call these people "developers" but would call these folks
    "IDE-operators".

It is your age, and there has been nothing gradual about it.. Look the
world has moved a lot in the last 30 years, and we have gone past the
point where current developers are humouring us old folk for making
jokes about IDE-operators.

I am well aware this is what these people believe in and what marketing folks are spreading to hype their tools. To me IDEs are "just tools" - Additional tools, additional to terminals and editors.

I.e. a Linux distro, which is not supporting terminals/editors as part of a "developer oriented distro" has not done its homework. I'd even go one step further: Developing under Red Hat's default desktop (Gnome3) is impossible without an IDE.

Ralf