Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

This would be a good topic for the retrospective, I think.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_Retrospective#Could_have_been_better
;-)

In my specific case,  'firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=public' in my
kickstart file makes this issue go away.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/12/14 16:33, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 02:31:58PM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
>>>
>>> There are three products: workstation, server, cloud. Workstation is
>>> the one for desktop use. That leaves server to aim for the traditional
>>> fedora user base, since cloud is (understandably) a very different
>>> thing. So if you want a desktop system with a security focus where do
>>> you look now?
>>

>> So, it's important to understand — here on the devel list, certainly —
>> that these three are part of a marketing strategy, and in order for
>> such a thing to be effective and not just fluffy talk, it does involve
>> technical changes to match the plan.
>

> I have no problems with this. However, besides the technical/marketing
> trade-offs, here is also a process issue. Obviously, a lot of people were
> surprised by Kevin's finding that the workstation firewall was default open
> for ports > 1024.
>
> Tracking this issue back we find [1] where the workstation group  tried to
> just disable the firewall. This started some threads. FESCO rejected the
> change request.
>
> For me, this issue then disappeared from my radar. It seems that after FESCO
> turned down the wide-open system option the discussion was in the
> workstation list, where they ended up opening all user ports (?) and
> implemented this.
>
> When a lot of people are surprised, isn't that a sign of a process problem?
> Should we try to avoid surprises like this?. If so, how?
>
> (I'm not trying to be argumentative or to blame anyone; if my pidgin English
> gives that impression please ignore it).
>

> Cheers!
>
> --alec
>

> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1301
>
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for
Digital Journalists https://osjourno.com

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.