Re: "Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

On 08/12/14 12:10, Michael Spahn wrote:

Probably this is not gnomish enough to him.

Hm... There's something strange familiar with this discussion... yes, in [1] there are several threads on "Firewall blocking desktop features".

I can see both sides here, the impossible situation for the user when presented with questions like "Is it OK to open TCP port 8765 for incoming traffic?", but also the major security problem having ports >1024 open by default. There are some ideas in the threads how to cope with it.

A problem here seems to be that some interested (including me) isn't reading the the workstation list, and gets a nasty surprise when the results just pops up from nowhere. I certainly expected a better solution for this problem, but I havn't made any effort whatsoever to help solving it. So I guess my expectation is basically void.

--alec

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-September/