Re: Improving the offline updates user experience

On 10/22/2014 09:07 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
the important point in that case is not reboot after upgrading Firefox
but*before*  upgrading Firefox, which means that at the time of the
upgrade no Firefox will be running and potentially crashing because one
of the 100s of DSOs it loads on-demand has changed in an incompatible way.

The upgrade can last one hour (more or less). I'm not going to wait for upgrade and looking at black screen (albeit with progress bar). When upgrading - I save critical work in progress, and start reading articles from my RSS queue.
And if Firefox crash (which happens very very rarely) I lost nothing, but get one hour of my life for free.

To be constructive: I can imagine displaying dialog:
  Going to upgrade your system. Do you want to do it offline?
    * Yes - most safe way
    * No - there is non-trivial chance that some running application would crash (proceed on your own risk)

And let the user decide if he is power user or not.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS