Re: Improving the offline updates user experience

Dne 16.9.2014 v 12:21 Richard Hughes napsal(a):
On 16 September 2014 10:55, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just a thought - but wouldn't be better spend time to enlighten
Gnome/Firefox developers how to write applications in a way the could be
upgraded runtime

So, it's not just the application, it's every application and D-Bus
service the application uses. Even glibc opens files-as-resources at

So it's time to fix D-Bus then as well!

If something is broken - it will not get fixed by hiding broken design behind reboot&upgrade.

Guys it's 21st. century - it's so much broken idea to reboot 'machine' because I want to upgrade i.e. Firefox - that I simply don't have words for it.

If you can't fix the Firefox (or some other broken tool) and you want to allow
install of new version - then you need to allow i.e. parallel installs of such packages - it's that simple - I've been doing this more then 15 years ago at University - so really nothing new here...

While the old-firefox is in use - new one could be installed in parallel
and the old one is removed when the last user closes app - of course
this has another problem with dependency hell - again solvable thing - look at i.e. NixOS.

Just fix things in their core instead of hiding problem in pointless reboots.

Have any of those 'inventors' of  reboot&update ever managed multiuser system?

This 'reboot' idea is just 'somehow' usable maybe for a single seat single user desktop - but not anywhere else.

Has Fedora given up Unix ??

Zdenek