Re: fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

On Mon, 30.06.14 17:31, Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >> Well, it's semi-dynamic. I suppose I'm treating it more like an
> >> additive drop directory.
> >>
> >> In a sense, there's a certain amount of this definition that every
> >> Fedora install will have. The Products then add to this definition. A
> >> basic piece of it is mandatory, but the outer edges are add-ons.
> >
> > I am not sure this is really what /etc/os-release is for. It's for
> > declaring operating system names and versions, not really for containing
> > a list of packages you have installed.
> >

> That's exactly what I'm describing, though. I'm not sure where you're
> getting "a list of packages you have installed" from. We're trying to
> describe that this OS is both "Fedora" and (over and above that) also
> "Fedora Server".

Well, either the OS is Fedora or it isn't. If it is Fedora, then
"ID=fedora" should be set. If it isn't, then instead you should set
"ID=fedora-foobar", but to express the compatibility you should also set
"ID_LIKE=fedora". See os-release(5) for details on ID= and ID_LIKE=.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat