Re: fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

>>> I really don't understand why /usr/lib/os-release should have an
>>> API to modify. It describes the vendor operating system image,
>>> really, and his hence strictly not dynamic. We should never invent
>>> mechanisms that make files in /usr subject to runtime
>>> configuration. That would be completely backwards.
>>
>> Well, it's semi-dynamic. I suppose I'm treating it more like an
>> additive drop directory.
>>
>> In a sense, there's a certain amount of this definition that every
>> Fedora install will have. The Products then add to this definition. A
>> basic piece of it is mandatory, but the outer edges are add-ons.
>
> I am not sure this is really what /etc/os-release is for. It's for
> declaring operating system names and versions, not really for containing
> a list of packages you have installed.

That's exactly what I'm describing, though. I'm not sure where you're getting "a list of packages you have installed" from. We're trying to describe that this OS is both "Fedora" and (over and above that) also "Fedora Server".