Re: We want to stop systemd from being added to docker images, because of rpm requiring systemctl.

On Wed, 30.04.14 19:56, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner (marcelo.leitner@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >This makes no sense. I mean, why would anyone bother with playing with
> >systemd's binaries which (with the exceptio of s-d-v, see above) do not
> >increase your set of capabilities when executed, if you have /bin/sh
> >anyway which allows you to do whatever you want? If an attacker managed
>
> Don't ask me, ask when it happens (again)/when the next CVE comes
> up. (and no, I'm not referring to systemd exclusively)

No, what you are saying technically makes no sense. It really
doesn't.

 <snip>

If they manage to inject code into your
system, then they manage to inject code into your system, that's
it. They won.

It's not quite that simple.  The risk being discussed here is arbitrary execution of a command line (e.g. string injection into system(3)), when the attacker can run anything available via the namespace but not (yet) upload their own binaries.

That risk is real.  OTOH until someone demonstrates a fully "productized" application (i.e. suitable for automated setup, configuration management, security updates) that includes none of: shell, python, coreutils, rpm, wget, curl (... and many more tools), I don't think it's practical to spend much effort trying to defend against it; running the suspect code (say, a PHP application) under an isolated UID with limited privileges is a reasonable compromise.
    Mirek