Re: We want to stop systemd from being added to docker images, because of rpm requiring systemctl.

Em 29-04-2014 12:27, Lennart Poettering escreveu:
On Tue, 29.04.14 10:37, Daniel J Walsh (dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

On 04/29/2014 06:33 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Mon, 28.04.14 17:01, Daniel J Walsh (dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

The problem  is lots of services require systemd because they ship a
unit file and want systemctl reload to happen.  Systemd then triggers a
require for udev and kmod, which docker containers do not need.
If you discount the docs/man pages of the RPMs, how much does kmod,
udev, systemd actually contribtue in bytes to your docker images?

Lennart

Shrinking the the docker image is more then just size.  We want to
eliminate packages that are not used (Within reason) to eliminate
problems like CVE's.  If udev/systemd/kmod had a CVE we would need to
update all Container images.

Well, if you are this principled maybe. But do note that we dont really
ship suid binaries (except one binary with fscaps which is
systemd-detect-virt), and hence by leaving systemd in the image without
running it should result in no increased attack surface that wasn't
there anyway... Dead code in the image, that cannot be use to acquire
new caps isn't much of a security threat...

You're considering only the escalation way to do it, but there are other ways to exploit code laying around, like when some web pages don't sanitize the URL enough and end up allowing executing something in the system, much like sql injection. In those cases, one could craft URLs to run wget or any other tool that may help the intruder get even more inside.

It's a pile of faults, yes, but the result isn't good and one good preventive step is keeping the dead/not needed stuff away.

Marcelo