Re: Heads up: retiring xorg-x11-drv-mouse and xorg-x11-drv-keyboard

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 12:40:45AM -0400, Gary Gatling wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > My plan is to retire these two xorg input drivers in rawhide in a week or
> > two. They are superseded by the evdev driver which is the default driver
> > for
> > input devices in Linux.
> >

> > Speak up now, or forever hold yada yada...
> >

> Hello Peter,
>
> With the software bumblebee, there seems to be a need for these packages.
> But I am not really sure why. I don't know if the evdev driver could work
> around this problem?
>
> If the packages are not installed, then the error message one gets is:
>
> [ 901.442296] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error:
> XORG<https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/issues/EE>Failed
> to load module "mouse"
>
> The solution I was told on github is to install xorg-x11-drv-mouse and
> xorg-x11-drv-keyboard packages. Which did indeed solve the problem in
> fedora 20. The xorg.conf file in this case is:
>
> /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
>
> The bumblebee developers have set
>
> Option      "AutoAddDevices" "false"
>
> Should that / can that be changed do you think?

That's exactly one of the examples I mentioned in my original email: _why_
is this line there? :)

If fixes the problem but that doesn't tell the whole story. You have a conf
that implicitly says "load the mouse driver" and then fails because you
didn't have the mouse driver installed. Which is fair enough, the question
here is why is that setting there in the first place? Is the goal to not add
any devices, or is this just an accidental leftover?

the git history of that file doesn't really provide any hints here,
unfortunately.

Cheers,
   Peter