Re: F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

On Wed 26 Mar 2014 05:29:55 PM CET Christopher wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Deepak Bhole <dbhole@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-03-25 19:59]:
>>> I also would like to see 1.7.0 stick around for awhile. Not
>>> necessarily as the default, but at least available in the repos. As it
>>> stands, it's difficult to use a modern Fedora on projects that are
>>> still developing against JDK 1.6.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, OpenJDK7 will be EOLd in April 2015[1], which is within
>> the support time-frame of the F21. This is one the reasons why we would
>> like to be able to switch over to OpenJDK8 asap for F21.
>>
>> 1: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> I don't see how Oracle tentatively dropping long-term public support
> for 7 means that Fedora needs can no longer provide OpenJDK7 in its
> repos (not as default, of course), with or without additional updates,
> for developers who want to use a modern Fedora, but need to develop
> for applications/hardware that requires strict 7 compatibility.
>
> The alternative is Fedora fans will be forced to use an older version
> of Fedora, use a different Linux distro, or find some hackish
> workaround (yum --releasever=20 ...; which is problematic, because
> every version 8 update will obsolete 7, just like 7 currently does
> with 6 packages), or download untrusted 3rd party packages.
>
> It seems to me that support in Fedora would be pretty easy: just make
> sure it doesn't cause a packaging conflict and recommend the newer
> JDK8. Maybe call it -compat? But, I defer to the experts on Fedora
> packaging/support policies and decisions. I'm just a user, and don't
> know all the implications for trying to include it. I just think it'd
> be nice to keep around.

It's not a question if we can have multiple parallel JDKs (we already
can, you can install 7 and 8 at the same time).

What we *can't* have in Fedora is a high-profile package which doesn't
receive security updates upstream and there is nobody in Fedora willing
and capable of doing that.

What's the big deal with using '--target 1.7' anyway? That covers 99% of
use cases, and any possible problems will have to be caught by CI
running whatever you'd be deploying on anyway.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241