Re: F21 System Wide Change: Java 8

----- Original Message -----

It's not that easy and simple. Most Java developer don't bother setting their target classfile format in their build scripts, resulting in new builds using new bytecode thus not usable on Java 7 at all, resulting in Java 7 not being usable for pretty much anything in Fedora repository. This might sound like a simple task to do but if you multiply it by few hundred packages have to be audited and all the complications coming from the variety of build systems it becomes a huge investment of time to have Java 8 as default and keep compat with Java 7.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team