Re: Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 12:01 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> >> That's not what we're doing.
> > To expand a bit: insofar as Software - the tool we're discussing here,
> > and the tool to which the "require applications to ship appdata"
> > requirement applies - replaces anything, it replaces gnome-packagekit.
> > It is not replacing yum.
> >
> > The old gnome-packagekit was a 'graphical package installer', just like
> > yumex and apper. The new gnome-software is (with a bit of a handwave) an
> > 'application installer'. That's a difference, but it's not relevant to
> > yum at all, and I doubt many people used gpk to install gcc. For those
> > who really want a GUI package installer, the old gpk is still available
> > in a not-installed-by-default package (though I assume Richard will
> > eventually drop it), and yumex is always an option.

> Thanks for the context. The reason I keep on droning about it is well
> explained by the old military saying "What is worse than a bad general?
> Two good generals.".  I.e., it would be nice if there was one go-to
> application for GUI software installation that everyone uses and
> improves. As it is, we have four: yumex, gpk, apper and now Richard's,
> and every one has some unique nice and/or niche features (*). It's just
> a better user experience when there's one GUI installer with simple
> default choice and advanced options,

One app "with simple default choice and advanced options" effectively
*is* two apps, uncomfortably shoehorned into one UI. You get all the
disadvantages of complexity with none of the benefits of simplicity.
This is why it's a model most apps have moved away from.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey